Happy Canada Day St Leo Community!!
Welcome to the last newsletter of the 2017/2018 school year. The next newsletter will be sent out after the 2018/2019 school year starts in September.
- Congratulations to Mrs. Turczyn on her retirement. We wish you all the best for a long and happy retirement.
- Congratulations to the Grade 8 students who graduated this week. Very best wishes to you all!
- Congratulations to Nicole Koterba who won the Blue Jay tickets. We hope you enjoy the game.
- Thanks to all the teachers who organized Play Day this week and thanks to Dorothy and all the parents who helped make and serve hot dogs. The kids really enjoyed the day!
- Thanks to all the families who have taken on a week (sometimes two weeks) of watering this summer to keep our garden pods producing vegetables for those less fortunate in our community.
A FEW REMINDERS AS WE KICK OFF THE SUMMER:
- The lost and found will remain available for collecting items for most of this coming week. Anything not picked up by Thursday July 5th (note date has changed since last week’s newsletter) will be donated to the St. Vincent de Paul Society.
- Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment has provided a Promo Code (STLEOARGOS) for the St Leo Community to use for a discount on Argos home football games from now through October. See attachment for more details. Enjoy the game!!
- The 2018/19 first day of school is Tuesday, September 4th.
- From 8:45 to 9:00 am, all students will assemble in the school yard at their grade level signage.
- Teachers will meet, greet and check off student names on their class list and they will all proceed to the gym for the opening exercise (O Canada, prayer and introduction).
- JK/SK children will meet their teachers in the kinder courtyard.
- If there is inclement weather morning – students will gather in the school gym to meet their teachers.
- Students in grades 1 – 8 will receive their agenda books in September. Please do not purchase generic agenda books for your child.
- St. Leo achieved Platinum standing as a Certified Ontario ECO school. As such, we will continue to uphold our commitment to “BAN THE WATER BOTTLE – TURN ON THE TAP”. In the fall, please ensure your child comes to school with a reusable bottle. St Leo will continue to have stainless steel water bottles with the St. Leo C.S. Crest available for purchase, however ALL reusable water bottles will be perfect for refilling at our new water filling station which will be coming in September.
- As per the update Mrs. Ugrin emailed to us last week, we expect to have a school community meeting in the fall regarding the New School Building Project. Stay tuned for dates and times.
- The first Catholic School Parent Council meeting will be held on Wednesday September 12th. CSPC elections will be held on Wednesday September 26th. Over the summer, please give some thought to taking on a CSPC role in the fall. We are always looking for help.
YEAR END NOTES OF THANKS:
- Thank you to Mrs. Ugrin, all the teachers and all the support staff for your hard work with our children this year. You foster a wonderful culture within the walls of the school which the children take with them into the community.
- Thank you to all the teachers, staff and parents who volunteered for extra-curricular activities. There is the stuff we see and a whole bunch of stuff we don’t see that is happening in the background. Thank you for giving your time this way to the children. These activities are so important for their well-rounded development.
- Thank you to all the teachers who took their kids on field trips this year. Field trips add so much value to the learning process.
- Thank you to Ms. Dorothy and all of the parent volunteers who delivered nutritious snacks to our children each and every day. Thanks to Stephanie Naval who kept the books for the program and Brandi Ward who did a lot of the shopping.
- Thanks to the caretakers. While we hope to have a new school in the near future, you currently have an old building (with all its idiosyncrasies) that requires a special kind of loving. Thank you for making us look the best we can.
- Thank you to all the parents who volunteered for the many activities this year – literacy day, teacher appreciation breakfast, the Spring Fling, the Silent Auction, clean-up day, etc. … it surely takes a village …
- Special thanks to my fellow CSPC executive and voting members for all their hard work this year - Jackie McGrath (Vice Chair, Swim coach), Tania Zoldak (Treasurer, knower of all rules and regulations), Carey Burleigh (Secretary, veteran Spring Fling pizza slinger), Stephanie Naval (Nutrition Program bookkeeper), Kim Daniel (Special Education liaison, backup secretary), Niki Dettbarn (DJ supreme, newly christened grant writer).
- Special thanks also to our veteran CSPC meeting attendees and volunteers – Brandi Ward (Community Liaison and fundraising queen), Michelle Nolden-Szarka (champion of so many initiatives and whom we will miss tremendously come September), Claire McMullin (Pancake Day leader, and always always there when you need her), Andrea Larsen (ticket producer, keeper, tracker, voice of reason).
- And special thanks to our newest cadre of CSPC volunteers - Chantelle Nakhooda (website and social media manager), Tonya Perri (volunteer and newest Spring Fling pizza slinger) and Kristi Gordon (volunteer for many activities). We have appreciated so much having the addition of your voices and opinions at our meetings.
That’s it. Another school year over. I wish the whole St Leo Community the very best for the summer months. Please stay safe and enjoy the time with your families. We will see you in September.