Hello St Leo Community!
Please note this is the last newsletter until after March Break. The next newsletter will be sent out the weekend of March 17/18.
New School Build News!
- TCDSB Facilities are writing a report to recommend Kohn Shnier Architects as the consultants for the new school. The report will be read at the Board meeting on March 9th.
- A community meeting will be held at the school on Wednesday March 21st and will be open to all St Leo parents. The meeting will introduce the architects to the community and allow the architects to give some of their initial thoughts on the feasibility study and the project going forward.
Below are the other reminders you need for the upcoming weeks:
- Please remember that St. Leo is working towards being certified as an Eco school and as such, when packing lunches please send reusable water bottles and containers whenever possible to limit waste.
- School mass with Father Frank will take place on Monday Feb 26th at 1:00 pm. March’s mass will take place on Thursday March 8th at 1:00 pm. All are welcome.
- The Swim to Survive program starts this week. Ms. Turczyn’s Grade 3s, Ms. McCann’s Grade 3/4s, Mme. Rego’s Grade 3s and Ms. Majchrowski’s Grade 4/5s will be going to Norseman Pool on February 28th, March 7th and March 28th. Please remember to bring bathing suits and towels these days.
- February’s Virtue and Awards Assembly takes place on Wednesday February 28th at 1:00pm
- Graduation photos will be taken on Thursday March 1st. Grade 8 students will have their photos taken at 9:40 am and Senior Kindergarten students will have their photos taken at 10:30 am.
- St Leo C.S. is pleased to introduce online banking! In order to participate, you must register your child online first. Please register as soon as possible at https://tcdsb.schoolcashonline.com. As more parents register, we will be able to initiate payments for field trips, yearbooks, activity fees etc. The goal is to have NO CASH/CHEQUES being sent to the school through your child. This will mean safe, fast and easy transactions.
- The Ministry of Education is consulting on the future of student transportation in order to find out how transportation services can be improved to better serve students, families and communities. As part of the public engagement process, TCDSB community members who rely on student bus transportation to get to school are encouraged to get involved and participate directly through the online consultation platform at:
- A reminder that the literacy and numeracy program is underway, for the Grade 3s and 6s preparing for the EQAO tests in May. Grade 3s attend on Monday and Thursday (with Ms McCann) and Grade 6s either attend on Monday and Thursday (with Ms. Magchrowski) or on Monday and Wednesday with Ms. Figuredo. Don’t forget to pick up your children at 5:00 on these days.
- As EQAO approaches (May) parents and students can access extra practice questions and preparation resources at EQAO.com
- The Holy Angels parent council invites us to a free seminar (with complimentary light dinner and babysitting provided) entitled MATH IN THE 21st CENTURY: HOW TO SUPPORT YOUR CHILD on Thursday, March 1st, 2018 from 6:00pm to 8:30pm at Holy Angels School. You can register, including whether or not you will require babysitting at email@example.com .
- School wide reconciliation will be held on Thursday March 22nd at 9:30 am.
- The next Civvies Day will be Friday March 23rd.
- The March Virtue & Awards Assembly will take place on Tuesday March 27th at 1:00 pm.
- Confirmation takes place on April 15th at 4:00 pm. Forms have been sent home with the children. Forms must be filled in and returned to the Church (in person). There are three dates in March for pre Confirmation parent instruction. This instruction is mandatory. Failure to attend will postpone your child’s Confirmation to 2019.
- If your child is in Grade 8 and has not yet received the Sacrament of Confirmation and you wish him/her to receive the sacrament, please contact Father Frank.
- First Holy Communion takes place on May 6th at the 11:30 mass. Forms have been sent home with the children. Forms must be filled in and returned to the Church (in person). There are three dates in March for pre First Holy Communion parent instruction. This instruction is mandatory. Failure to attend will postpone your child’s First Holy Communion to 2019.
- If your child is in Grades 3 to 8 and has not yet received First Holy Communion and you wish him/her to receive the sacrament, please contact Father Frank.
- The CPIC-OAPCE Parent Summit will be held on Saturday May 5th. Please see the attachment for more details
- The Grade 8s continue to sell cookies and popcorn, on Fridays as a fundraiser for their graduation trip. Popcorn and cookies each cost $2.00.
- The school is collecting pop tabs and used batteries in Ms. McCann’s room. Students can drop by room 205 once they have a full Ziploc bag.