Happy New Year St Leo Community!
Grab yourself a tea and settle in – it’s a long one today.
Thanks and welcome!
- Thanks to Dorothy Babic who came in over the holidays to sort out the servery after the flood/fire.
- A warm welcome to Ms. Nicole Bonnici the new St Leo Secretary.
New School News
- We were delighted this week to receive the letter from the board, via Mrs. Ugrin, outlining all of the upcoming dates regarding the new school build. If you missed it when Mrs. Ugrin sent it out yesterday, please find it attached.
- Additionally, architects who will be bidding on the new school work, were on site this week touring the school yard, the historical part of the building and the basement.
- The TCDSB has agreed to provide regular updates to me that I will be able to include in this weekly newsletter.
- …. Things are moving!!!
Below are the reminders you need for the upcoming weeks:
- St. Leo's CoEd hockey team tryouts begin on Monday January 15th during the noon hour. All interested students in Gr. 6/7/8 must have their signed permission form into Mr. Vlasschaert by 9:00 am on Monday morning!
- The Grade 8s continue to sell cookies and popcorn, on Fridays as a fundraiser for their graduation trip. Popcorn and cookies each cost $2.00.
- Also to raise funds for their graduation trip, the Grade 8s are selling tickets for the Marlies’ game on February 19th. Order forms went home this week and are due back to the school by Tuesday January 16th.
- 2018/19 Kindergarten registration, for all children born in 2014, begins on Wednesday January 17th at 10:00 am. All registrations must be completed on line using the SOAR application (www.soar.tcdsb.org). St Leo’s evening Kindergarten Registration will be held on Wednesday January 24 from 5:00-8:00 pm.
- This coming Friday – January 19th is a PA day.
- January 29th is Literacy Day at St Leo’s. If you will have some time to volunteer to read to a class that day – please respond to this email. Thanks to all who have signed up already. We would like to have someone for every class including the older grades. You can bring a family favourite to read or Mrs Ugrin will have lots of good ideas … even for the older grades. Readers are asked to be at the school for 9:30 am and we will need you for about an hour to allow time for the reading and questions.
- Swim team try outs will start on Friday February 2 at 4 pm at Alderwood pool. Grade 2 – 8 students are welcome including ME students. The children must be able to swim one full length of the pool. A permission form with all the information was sent home this week. There will be 14 practices. Participants need to commit to at least 10 of the 14 practices.
- AUCTION DETAILS!!!! Get your tickets!!! The St Leo School Community Night and Auction is in four weeks!!! Please join us for this great event on Friday February 9th at 7:30 pm at the Maple Leaf House on Lakeshore. Come have some fun, help raise funds for the school AND grab some fantastic deals!
- The ticket order form is attached. You can send it back to school with your order and $. The tickets will come home to you via your child.
- We have an amazing collection of items for the auction table. Lots of summer camps (something for all children) and great items for parents too. See the incredible list below. The list gets longer every day so check the website once a week (http://www.stleoparentcouncil.org )
- We could always use more donations. Ask your favourite vendor for donations to help your school!
- If you would like to volunteer at the auction please respond to this email
- Most importantly …. Get your tickets!
- Donations so far include:
- Tamarack West - outdoor school - 1 week of summer camp
- Nite Owl Barber Shop gift certificate
- Jack of Sports 1 week of Co-ed Summer Camp (Cycling, Swim, Golf, or Multi Sport and more)
- Humber Hawks - Jr. Hawks Summer Camp
- CJ's Skate Park
- Spartan Gymnastics – $450 group drop-in certificate
- Etobicoke minor ball hockey league 2018 registration
- Two Moksha Yoga Etobicoke gift certificate ($180 each)
- Christine Marshal wildlife print
- Suitcase Theater Summer Camp
- LM Premier Soccer Academy Summer Camp
- Oxygen Bikes - 5 pass for skate sharpening
- Kazmira yoga pass
- Joyce Lising - 1 hour weight loss specific nutrition counselling session plus a 30 min follow up session
- Arts Express Summer Camp
- DEEP Summer Academy camp
- The school is collecting milk bags to be turned into sleeping mats and sent overseas. Please collect and send in your milk bags for this purpose.
- Tuesday February 13th is Pancake Tuesday. If you would be available to volunteer for this event, please respond to this email. Thanks to those who have already signed up to help out.
- Confirmation takes place on April 15th at 4:00 pm. Forms have been sent home with the children. Forms must be filled in and returned to the Church (in person). There are three dates in March for pre Confirmation parent instruction. This instruction is mandatory. Failure to attend will postpone your child’s Confirmation to 2019.
- First Holy Communion takes place on May 6th at the 11:30 mass. Forms have been sent home with the children. Forms must be filled in and returned to the Church (in person). There are three dates in March for pre First Holy Communion parent instruction. This instruction is mandatory. Failure to attend will postpone your child’s First Holy Communion to 2019.
- If your child is in Grades 3 to 8 and has not yet received First Holy Communion and you wish him/her to receive the sacrament, please contact Father Frank
- If your child is in Grade and has not yet receive the Sacrament of Confirmation and you wish him/her to receive the sacrament, please contact Father Frank
Don’t forget to buy your auction tickets!