Good evening St. Leo Community!
I hope everyone had a fantastic week. Below are the reminders and updates you need for next week.
Did you know that St Leo is turning 90 this year? This is certainly something to celebrate and we will be discussing it more throughout the year.
Next Wednesday (October 5th) is St Leo’s 2nd annual Curriculum Night and Community Carousel. Lots going on that evening:
1. Carousel (5:30 pm – 6:30 pm)
- Used uniform sale (any uniform clothing that your child has outgrown and you would like to donate to the preloved uniform sale can be dropped off at the school office in advance)
- The Online Store for Spirit Wear will be available with samples/sizes
- Ms. McMullan will be there to answer any questions you may have about the Nutrition program
- The Math Academy will be connecting with parents who are interested in Beginner French for adults
- Many other useful resources from the community
2. Meet the Teachers (6:30 pm – 7:30 pm)
3. Guest Speaker (7:30 pm – 8:30 pm)
- Kylah Connolly, the Parent Education Network
- Presentation – "Building Confidence In Our Kids"
a) Learn how to effectively encourage your child
b) Build on their strengths
c) Increase their autonomy
Please send an email to this email address if you will need childcare for Curriculum Night. We are trying to arrange something and need an idea of numbers.
The students are collecting non-perishable food donations to support the Daily Bread Food Bank for the WE SCARE HUNGER Campaign. The food drive is currently running and will close next Friday, October 7th.
A reminder about the online store for spirit wear http://www.tshirtsondemand.ca/st_leo Sweatshirts, hoodies etc feature our new school crest designed by our students as well as golf shirts with the St. Leo name. Note there are sizes for students, teachers and parents. The final order date for this first batch is Friday, October 28th. Clothing will be delivered approximately two weeks after that. For those who would prefer to do a manual order or to try on sample sizes, Ms. LeBlanc will be available in the office on Fridays from 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm beginning Friday September 30th.
The next parent council (CSPC) meeting will be on October 12th. At this meeting we will have a one-time committee breakout session for all committees. Our committees include:
· Heritage Committee
· Eco Team Committee
· Religious Celebration and Sacrament Committee
· Sports and Wellness/Athletics Committee (note we are in particular need of parents to support the Soccer Team (December – January), the Volleyball Team (February – March) and Track and Field (April – May)
If there is anything in particular you are interested in, please join us on October 12th at 6:30 in the school library.
Additionally I should have introduced you to the 2016/2017 CSPC council in the last newsletter. Let me correct this oversight now. The members are as follows:
· Fiona Kerr – Chair
· Michelle Nolden-Szarka – Vice Chair
· Tania Zoldak – Treasurer
· Carey Burleigh – Secretary
· Jackie McGrath – Parent Representative
· Claire McMullan – Parent Representative
· Anique Robitaille – Parent Representative
· Brandi Ward – Community Liaison
We are also grateful to have so much support from our wonderful Principal, Mrs. Ugrin and from our awesome Teacher Representative, Mlle. Hunter. Whether or not you have an official role on the Council, we welcome everyone and are interested in your thoughts, ideas and opinions.
Our 4th Annual St. Leo Cleanup Drive is scheduled for November 2nd, 2016 from 9:15 am – 10:30 am. In keeping with our commitment to environmental responsibility, students will seek pledges and as a school community we will clean up the streets of Mimico. Funds raised will go to much needed resources at the school. Details and pledge forms will be sent home via your child's backpack in the next few weeks. We continue to seek parent volunteers to assist teachers and staff with supervision during the cleanup! Please respond to this email if you are able to help.
The Nutrition Program is always looking for volunteers to prep for the following day. Many hands makes light work. If you can volunteer regularly or even only once, we would be grateful for your support. You can reach Claire directly to discuss and set up a time at email@example.com. In the meantime, we would like to thank Suzy Opoka and Dorothy Babic for their support.
Finally a gentle reminder that any outstanding $8s for agendas are due as soon as possible.
I hope everyone has a great weekend and I look forward to seeing many of you at St Leo’s2nd annual Curriculum Night and Community Carousel next Wednesday.
As always feel free to contact me if ever you have concerns … or just want to share some great ideas.
Don’t forget to check out our website at http://www.stleoparentcouncil.org and follow us on twitter @stleosfun